Lipan Texas History
HISTORY OF LIPAN, TEXAS
Nestled in a small valley in northwest Hood County is the town of Lipan, Texas. Lipan is named for the Lipan Apache Indians who once roamed the Southwest.
Lipan is surrounded by small creeks including Crockery Creek, Kickapoo Creek, and Weaver Branch.
The valley has come to be known as Kickapoo Valley with Kickapoo Falls as a distinctive landmark.
These creeks eventually empty into the mighty Brazos River.
For many centuries this tranquil valley was home to native American Indians from several tribes including Wichita, Apache, and Comanche tribes and to bountiful wild game of deer, turkeys, raccoons, rabbits, squirrels, etc. The creeks ran year round; the wooded land provided for the needs of both man and beast.
About 1853 the first known white settlers of the area were Sam and George Allen who settled between what is now known as Crockery Creek and Weaver Branch.
Crockery Creek derived its name from the waters that cooled crocks of milk and butter placed in the water. Weaver Branch was originally named after the Allen men; the name was later changed to Weaver Branch to honor the memory of a gentleman named Weaver who resided there and was killed by Indian marauders.
Another early settler was John Middleton who settled just west of Lipan between Dry Branch Creek and Double Mountain; he settled in what was first known as Middleton Point. Other early settlers were C.A. Gilland, James Capps, and George Killion. These early settlers were adventurous men who were seeking lands in their native form.
By 1873 an Irishman named Thomas Allen Burns (1832-1933) arrived on the scene and laid out a township which he called Lipan. He was aided in his founding of the town by land agent John H. Traylor.
Researchers may study the history sections in sections. Information about the founder of Lipan, Thomas Allen Burns is available. Four historians have written about the founding of Lipan. They are Thomas Ewell, Carl Dean Ator, Iris Williamson Hubbard, and James Timothy Sears.